Simple vs Expert mode

Daniel Pettet 10 years ago updated by vladyslav volovyk 10 years ago 1
This app is promising but my first run experience was pretty bad. I got eye strain trying to work my way through the help info and struggled a little to understand all the new concepts and terminology. I consider myself a pro user (full stack web dev) so this is a worry.

I suggest you cut down on concepts and features to a bare minimum. What is required to make your app work? Call this simple mode. Add an option to enable expert (or experimental) mode where the other 50 options are available (see Chrome preferences as an example). This should also reduce your getting-started/help text drastically.

Another similar approach is to do what Apple does. Expert customisations and features exist but you have to be somewhat an expert to find out how to enable them. Therefore, there are really good default settings and the people who have niche setups can still enable them if they really need them. This should also reduce your support because experts generally understand expert features better.

I suggest you make 'groups/trays', separators, cloning and scrolling functions either way easier to use and understand or take them out of the default UI. You can also simply remind the user a few days after use that there are more features to discover so that you can still promote these cool concepts. It's all about making the first experience more enjoyable!

I think you are onto a good thing! I was about to make my own plugin before I found yours so I am very grateful for your efforts and time spent!
Thanks for good words : )

I really thought a lot about things that you wrote.

Meantime the most important problem through is to fund the future development. Read - introducing some paid version, with additional features.

After that i will return to exchanging user experience and so on, there is really a lot of what can be done.

Also i find that actually user is not as dumb as we, the developers, sometimes think. Yes, the first experience is overwhelming, but it is just because nobody in general do not expect such complex things from the regular Chrome extension. Other from this expectations mismatch the tool is not that complex at all.

And yes, the help and introduction is really badly written and not very structured - it must be rewritten completely and reduced. Also some UI changes might really make first experience smoother. But as i said - that is not the most important problem now.